Descriptive tour and workshop consisting of a 90 minute tour in the morning, followed by a lunch break and a 2.5 hour practical workshop in the afternoon. Guides, chairs and refreshments will be provided. Please bring a packed lunch.
Free but booking essential.
Pin-Ups: Toulouse-Lautrec and the Art of Celebrity will be the first exhibition held at the National Galleries of Scotland devoted to the art of Henri de Toulouse-Lautrec (1864-1901).
Paris in the fin-de-siècle was known as the ‘city of pleasure’; famed for its cabarets, dance halls and cafés. Most famous of all were the nightspots of the bohemian district of Montmartre, where Toulouse-Lautrec lived, worked and socialized, including the now legendary café-cabarets Le Moulin Rouge and Le Chat Noir. Pin-Ups: Toulouse Lautrec and the Art of Celebrity will focus on Toulouse-Lautrec’s lithographic posters, portfolio prints and illustrations which made stars of Montmartre’s venues and their entertainers – personalities such as Yvette Guilbert, Jane Avril and Aristide Bruant. Toulouse-Lautrec’s career coincided with a revolutionary moment in the history of western printmaking – the development of the poster as a means of mass-marketing – and lithography and poster-making were central to his creative process from his first experiments in the medium in 1891 until his death in 1901.
Venue Audio Description System
- Venue Audio Description Collection Point
- varies with event
- Venue Audio Description Information
- The galleries offer a monthly artist led tours and practical workshops. The programme offers a descriptive tour of an exhibition followed in the afternoon by a practical workshop. These events are usually 3rd Wednesday of each month. The galleries off a monthly artist led tours and practical workshops. The programme offers a descriptive tour of an exhibition with a practical workshop in the afternoon.
How to Book
National Galleries of Scotland
Venue Audio Tour
- Venue Audio Tour Information
- Audio tours may be available for special exhibitions.